Sunday, April 27, 2008

Lynne Edwards, MBE

Last January I wrote about my friend, Lynne Edwards, from England, who will be receiving the MBE (Member of the Order of the British Empire) from Queen Elizabeth for her work as a quiltmaker, teacher and author. This morning I received an e-mail from Lynne about this prestigious event. Here are a few excerpts from her letter:

"Just thought you might like to see the fat envelope that arrived with the postman recently! The Palace requested me to be there on a date in mid-June, when - of course! - I was booked to teach in France. With the UK students now having paid their fees and more importantly, booked their flights, I was terrified that this would be my only chance and that if I couldn't attend, they would just send me the medal in the post. But, happily, I spoke to a jolly lady in St James' Palace who gave me July 3rd as an alternative. I can take three guests and we have a special permit and car sticker that will allow us to drive through the gates into the Buckingham Palace yard and then park the car within the palace grounds."

Congratulations, Lynne! We will be looking forward to seeing all those photos of you with the Queen.


No comments: